All News Blog Videos

30 August 2023

How to apply for a DS-3053 Statement of Consent form for your child’s US passport

If a parent or guardian cannot attend an appointment to renew your child’s passport, they will need to submit a notarised DS-3053 Statement of Consent. We tell you all you need to know about this form in our useful guide.

Estimated reading time: 2 minutes

Parent and child with US passports after a successful application with a Statement of Consent

US nationals who want to take their children to the US will need to get a US Child’s Passport. They will need to arrange an appointment at the US embassy in London. To learn more, we have a blog post about applying for a US Child’s Passport available for you to read. 

However, in this post, we are focussing on the DS-3053 Statement of Consent form. This is required if one or both of the parents or guardians cannot attend the embassy meeting.

This form requires notarisation before it can be used. Woodcock Notary Public can help you with getting the form notarised.

How do I use the Statement of Consent form?

First, you will have to download the form. You can find the form on the US embassy’s UK website.

Then, you will need to complete it. If you do not want to use the form, you can instead use a written statement that includes all of the information the form asks for. 

If both parents or guardians cannot attend, they must submit their own individual form. Also, a third party can apply for the passport on behalf of the parents/guardians by using the form.

The form must then must be signed in the presence of a notary public. Then, the notary has to sign the form to authenticate it. Afterwards, the form can then be submitted in your appointment at the embassy. 

It should be noted that Statements of Consent expire three months after they have been notarised. Make sure you use it within that time window.

Under 16s and 16 to 17 year olds have different rules around applying for passports.

For under-16s

Both legal parents/guardians must apply with their child. The form must be completed in the aforementioned way.

For 16 and 17 year olds

However, 16 and 17 year olds may not necessarily require a completed Statement of Consent form. Parental consent can be ascertained just by a parent or guardian being in attendance when the child submits their application. They can also write a signed note or offer proof that they are paying the fees.

However, you may still be requested to provide a signed and notarised form by the passport authorising officer.

Contact us

If you have any questions or want more information on applying for US passports, contact us today.


If you have any questions about our notary, apostille or consular services,
contact Woodcock Notary Public today.

Call us on 0330 133 6480 or email

If you have any questions about our notary, apostille or consular services, contact Woodcock Notary Public today.

Call us on 0330 133 6480 or email