All News Blog Videos

19 August 2022

Your guide to The Philippines Overseas Employment Certificate

The Overseas Employment Certificate allows Filipinos to leave the Philippines.

Estimated reading time: 3 minutes

Overseas Employment Certificate Philippines

Philippine passport holders require permission to leave the country. Filipinos need to get what is called exit clearance to leave the Philippines. The main route people use to leave the Philippines is the Overseas Employment Certificate (OEC).

If a Filipino wishes to work overseas, such as in the UK, they will need to get this certificate.

What is the Philippines Overseas Employment Certificate?

The Overseas Employment Certificate is required by any Filipino national who is moving overseas with a work visa. They are issued by the Philippine Overseas Employment Administration (POEA) and must be applied for before you leave the Philippines.

The OEC lasts for 60 days after it is issued. It is only valid for one exit out of the Philippines. If you return to the Philippines within the 60 days, you will need to get a new certificate if you want to leave again.

The requirements for the OEC depend on what type of job you have. There are two options when applying for the visa: as a direct hire, or through an agency.

What are the documentary requirements for the Overseas Employment Certificate Philippines?

Below are some of the documents that must be presented or submitted to the Office of the Labor Attache, Philippine Embassy, London:

  • Original passport with valid re-entry visa/work permit (with photo copy)
  • Duly accomplished Overseas Filipino Worker (OFW) Information Sheet; this form is available from the Philippine Embassy
  • Proof of valid Overseas Workers Welfare Administration (OWWA) membership
  • Copy of employment contract/employer’s certification

What is the OWWA?

The OWWA is a body that is a part of the Department of Labor and Employment (DOLE) in the Philippines. It provides training to Filipino workers who plan on working overseas, such as basic language training.

The OWWA also assists with maintaining the welfare of both their workers, and the workers’ families.

It is a body that you have to apply to become a member of. You can either apply through the POEA by processing a contract with them, or by making an appointment with the OWWA in your destination country. You can also use the regional version of the OWWA site in whichever country you are in.

In the UK, the OWWA is based in London. Membership is £23 and it can be renewed every two years.

Do you need a notary?

Yes. Many of your employment documents need to be signed in front of a notary. These documents form part of your application for an OEC and are listed below:

  • Certification that the employer is public/government
  • Service agreement between employer and Foreign Placement Agency (FPA): Call off Terms and Conditions for the International Healthcare Professionals Recruitment and Associated Services Framework
  • Manpower request/job order from employer to FPA
  • Manpower request FPA to Philippine Retirement Authority (PRA)
  • Master Employment Contract and Addendum to Contract of Employment
  • Visa guarantee for a sufficient Certificate of Sponsorship
  • Undertaking by employer to monitor employment of workers
  • Copy of employers’ passport
  • Copy of FPA’s representatives passport

Our services

Woodcock Notary Public provides specialist notarial services to individuals. We have offices across England, so no matter where you are, you will be able to arrange an appointment.

If you do not have the time to make it to one of our offices, you can arrange a mobile notary appointment at a time and place that suits you. This can be at home, your office, a café, or at any other suitable location.

We can attest to the truth and accuracy of translations. Each document that is notarised will bear the notary’s signature, which will confirm that the document has been certified.

Woodcock Notary Public can assist you with the consular services you require to get your visa. 

Contact us by email at or by phone at +44 (0)20 3576 1900.


If you have any questions about our notary, apostille or consular services,
contact Woodcock Notary Public today.

Call us on 0800 049 2471 (free to call) or email

If you have any questions about our notary, apostille or consular services, contact Woodcock Notary Public today.

Call us on 0800 049 2471 (free to call) or email