All News Blog Videos

12 July 2023

Statutory Declarations for a Gender Recognition Certificate

A Gender Recognition Certificate is issued to give proof that your change of gender is now legally recognised in the UK. In order to submit the paperwork, a statutory declaration is required.

Estimated reading time: 2 minutes

Gender Recognition Certificate

What is a Gender Recognition Certificate?

A Gender Recognition Certificate gives official legal recognition by the government that you have changed your gender. Only male and female are currently recognised genders in the UK. You cannot apply to register as non-binary. 

Applications are done online via the website

You will need to collect and prepare all paperwork before you begin the application process.

What is a statutory declaration?

A statutory declaration is a formal document declaring that what has been written on the form is correct, legally and factually. It must be witnessed, signed and administered by an approved body such as a Notary Public like ourselves. It is submitted alongside the application with the rest of the required paperwork.

Read our blog on statutory declarations to find out more.

What proof will my Gender Recognition Certificate require?

For a Gender Recognition Certificate, you must correctly declare how long you have identified as a different gender from which you were assigned at birth.

There are 3 different forms depending on your situation:

  • If you are single – you have never been married or your partner is deceased.
  • Whether you are married or in a civil partnership
  • If you are the spouse of the applicant.

The spouse must also fill out their declaration to confirm they give consent and wish to stay married to their partner upon a successful application.

Other paperwork needed to apply for a Gender Recognition Certificate

You will need proof that you have been identifying as a different gender for at least 2 years before applying.

  • Driving licence
  • Passport
  • P45/P60s
  • Utility bills
  • Bank Statements
    (this list is not exhaustive)

It must show either your name, your title or a gender marker that confirms your change in gender.

Medical Certificates from two UK doctors

  • Any treatments, for example hormonal or surgical
  • A diagnosis of gender dysphoria
    (this list is not exhaustive)

Marriage certificate if you are married or in a civil partnership.

Translation of documents that are not in English by a translator.

What can you do with a Gender Recognition Certificate?



Not needed

Update your UK birth and or adoption certificate Change your name on the certificate New passport
Get married in your affirmed gender   New driving licence
Update your marriage certificate to state your affirmed gender   Update your bank account
Have your affirmed gender stated on your death certificate when you die   Update medical records

Changing your gender will NOT change your legal status as the mother or father of your child.

Other things that may change:

  • Pension entitlements
  • Benefit entitlements

Good to know:

  • The application fee on the website is £5, but expect to pay other fees when obtaining the correct paperwork
  • It can take up to 22 weeks to get a decision
  • The panel is made up of legal and medical professionals
  • Clear photographs or photocopies of all required documents are necessary to complete your application (you submit your birth certificate via post after you have submitted your application online)
  • Your application will definitely be rejected if you do not meet the basic requirements, such as you have not been identifying as a different gender for at least two years, or if you do not have a statutory declaration and witness signature.

Contact us

We offer statutory declaration services for Gender Recognition Certificates.
Call or email us for more information, and to see how we can help you.


If you have any questions about our notary, apostille or consular services,
contact Woodcock Notary Public today.

Call us on 0800 049 2471 (free to call) or email

If you have any questions about our notary, apostille or consular services, contact Woodcock Notary Public today.

Call us on 0800 049 2471 (free to call) or email