All News Blog Videos

8 November 2023

Notary Public Services for Canadian Work Visa Application

If you are moving to Canada for work, you will need some documents to be certified as part of your application. This is where we come in.

Estimated reading time: 2 minutes

canadian work visa

In November 2023, Canada announced that it would be accepting 500,000 new migrants each year from 2024-2026. Over half of them will be ‘economic’ migrants, meaning they will have moved to Canada for work purposes. If you have been planning to move to Canada through a Canadian Work Visa, now is the time to get your application started. 

To prepare your visa application, several documents will need to be submitted. Some documents require certification, statutory declarations or affidavits (depending on the document). These are both services we provide through our mobile Notary Public, Nathan Woodcock.

Certification for a Canadian Work Visa

To certify a document means that a Notary Public will confirm that the copy of the official document is true and correct. This is proved by stamping and signing and it must be done in person. 

According to the Canadian immigration website, documents from outside of Canada must only be certified by a Notary Public.

Here is a list of documents that may need certifying:

  • Photocopy of your passport or travel documents
  • Two passport photos
  • Photocopy of your marriage certificate or licence

(This is not extensive and may vary depending on the individual application being made)

Statutory declarations

A statutory declaration is a formal, written statement to affirm that something is true, to the best knowledge of the person making the declaration. Statutory declarations have to be signed in the presence of an authorised person, such as a Notary Public.

If you are in a common-law union when applying for your Canadian Work Visa, you must complete the common-law statutory declaration. It must be witnessed and signed by a Notary Public or Commissioner of Oaths. Nathan Woodcock can do this for you. 


An affidavit is a written statement from a person. It must be signed by the person (the ‘affiant’) and by a Notary Public.

If you are applying for a Canadian visa all documents must be translated into English or French.

You do not need to use a certified or sworn translator, but an affidavit must be supplied. The affidavit must be sworn in the presence of a Notary Public.

Using our services

Our Notary Public Nathan Woodcock can offer you all of the services listed above to help with your move to Canada.

Nathan also offers mobile notary services, meaning he will come to your home or any place of your choice. You can also take your appointment in one of our offices if you would prefer.

Get in touch today

The best way to contact us is to give us a call on 0330 133 6480. A member of our team will be happy to assist you in your enquiry.

Our phone line is open from 9am – 5pm Monday – Friday.

You can also get in touch using our form. 


If you have any questions about our notary, apostille or consular services,
contact Woodcock Notary Public today.

Call us on 0330 133 6480 or email

If you have any questions about our notary, apostille or consular services, contact Woodcock Notary Public today.

Call us on 0330 133 6480 or email