All News Blog Videos

23 January 2024

An overview of US visas you can apply for

Read all about all the different types of US visas and how we can help you apply for one in our helpful, informative blog.

Estimated reading time: 3 minutes

United States visa

US visa applications

The US shares a lot of history with the UK, as well as a language, albeit with some differences. With its vast landscapes of untamed nature, famous landmarks and cities, and plenty of businesses looking for opportunities, it is clear why so many British citizens try to get a United States visa for a trip over the Atlantic. 

Our team of experts can help you with every step of applying for an American visa. With our help, your application will have a higher chance of being successful.

Types of United States visas

There are many types of American visa to suit any occasion. The US Government categorises its visas into ‘non-immigrant visas’ and ‘immigrant visas’. 

For example, non-immigrant visas include the H-2B Temporary Worker Visa, under which nationals of certain countries can go to the US to do temporary or seasonal work. For studying, there is the F-1 visa for academic study, and the M-1 visa for non-academic study. There is also the J-1 visa for exchange students. There are many non-immigrant visas to choose from, so get in touch with us if you are unsure which one you might need.

For immigrant visas, there are the US Employment Visa, the US Family Visa (also called a Family Immigration Visa) which has various options based on your situation, and many more. Make sure you contact us to know which visa is right for you.

Popular United States visas

Two of the most popular visas we have received enquiries about are the B-1 Temporary Business Visa, and the B-2 Tourist Visa. Though we will help with applications for all United States visas, due to their popularity, we shall provide a breakdown of the US Tourist Visa and the US Business Visa.

B-1 Temporary Business Visa 

British nationals who plan on carrying out business activities in the US will likely need a B-1 Temporary Business Visa. The US Business Visa allows you to do the following:

  • Settle an estate
  • Negotiate contracts
  • Travel to a conference for scientific, professional, educational, or business purposes
  • Consult with your business associates
  • Receive short-term training
  • Transit through the US if applicable
  • Enter the US if they are part of an aircrew and need to travel through the US to carry out their duties

B-2 Tourist Visa 

The B-2 Tourist Visa is the perfect visa for those who want to visit the US for a short amount of time, whether it be for a holiday, or to visit loved ones.

Eligible reasons for this visa include:

  • Holiday
  • Visit friends and family
  • Receive medical treatment
  • Partake in social events by social or service organisations
  • Partake in amateur music, sports, or other similar events; it cannot be paid participation 
  • Enrolment on a short course of study, e.g a cooking course or language class; you cannot do anything that contributes academic credits to something you are studying

Electronic System for Travel Authorisation (ESTA)

The ESTA is related to the B-1 and B-2 visas. However, it is not a visa itself; it is part of the United States’s visa waiver programme. Essentially, it allows citizens of certain countries, such as the UK, to visit the US for less than 90 days without a visa. 

If you are only planning on a very short trip to the US for a holiday or business reasons, then an ESTA will be more useful to you. 

How we can help

If you are planning on going to the US, then we can help you figure out what the best United States visa is for you. Our team will guide you through the process and help you meet the requirements set out by the US Government. 

People who already know what visa they want can use our services to assist them with their visa application; we will do our best to ensure that your visa application is accepted by the American authorities. 

Get in touch with us today to discuss your needs. 


If you have any questions about our notary, apostille or consular services,
contact Woodcock Notary Public today.

Call us on 0800 049 2471 (free to call) or email

If you have any questions about our notary, apostille or consular services, contact Woodcock Notary Public today.

Call us on 0800 049 2471 (free to call) or email